Michael F. Robbins on Sat, 2 Mar 2002 21:33:00 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Quotas hangs on reboot

On Sat, 2002-03-02 at 18:45, Chris Shank wrote:
> RH 7.2, when shutting down it hangs indefinately
> trying to stop the
> quotas service. i think it is probably looking for a
> CF card in my reader
> that isn't there.

Look at /etc/fstab.  If the CF card is listed as a mount point, put
"noquota" as an option.

> is this something that i need to
> have running (i don't think
> I'm using it)

IIRC, there is no daemon that watches quotas.  On bootup, you call
/sbin/quotaon and on shutdown /sbin/quotaoff.  If you don't need it, you
can probably remove it from /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.

> and how do i stop it from running -
> doesn't show up in services
> gui configure program.

It doesn't show up as an rc.d/init.d script because it isn't one.  It's
done manually in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.  In RedHat, quotas are turned off
in /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt.  But be careful about removing this:  if
they're turned on, and you never turn them off, you might just keep the
filesystem locked open (so you wouldn't be able to shut down) but I'm
not sure about this.

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com