Greg Lopp on Tue, 5 Mar 2002 00:20:09 -0500

Re: security tips - Re: [PLUG] serving webpages from home

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:43:01PM -0500, Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> Chowining is common for a bunch of stuff, and chrooting is common for
> bind/dns, but I am wondering why chrooting apache isn't more common.  I
> guess for the number of people that make user/public_html work as
> http://hostname/~user.  But since I don't, it makes sense for me to chroot
> apache.
It's not just the data files that would have to be put in the
jail is it?  Wouldn't you also need all of the various libraries
used by httpd?  Chrooting bind is easy because it is far less
extensible than apache.  How many libraries just for
/usr/sbin/apache?  Then how many for the simplest of CGI/shell
scripts?  Throw in mod_perl.  Pretty soon the question seems to
be what can be left out of the chroot jail, rather then what
else needs to go in.

Disclaimer : Haven't tried it myself, just read the ravings of
someone who tried.

Greg