adam on Tue, 5 Mar 2002 09:24:28 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Computer Problems

Hey, I'm not sure if I missed this,
but what type of processor is in this box?

On Mar 5 Gleeson, Francis (HT-EX) wrote:

> What is your mean time between failure? Can you effect it by what you are
> running x11 versus command line?
>
> I would suggest removing all peripheral devices, in order to isolate the
> faulty component. I would strip your system down to the bear minimum
> required
> to boot. Motherboard + Harddrive + keyboard + monitor.
>
> Remove any modems, NICs, floppies, basically remove all peripheral devices.
> Then add them back 1 by 1, running your system long enough for the lockup to
>
> appear.
>
> This kind of shotgunning approach has not been required since most PCI
> peripherals
> implement PnP correctly, and most BIOS\OS do a good job of configuring PnP
> peripherals.
> This was the only way to resolve hardware conflicts is the bad old ISA days.
>
> Are you using any ISA cards or cheap PCI peripherals like a $20 sound card?

		///	www.boomshanka.org     ///
 	        (Do you really want to quit now?)
NOTE: While signatures are arguably a blemish, they are a well-understood
convention, and conveying the same information in headers exposes it to
mangling and makes it rather less conspicuous....