Gleeson, Francis (HT-EX) on Tue, 5 Mar 2002 09:18:53 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Computer Problems

Title: RE: [PLUG] Computer Problems

What is your mean time between failure? Can you effect it by what you are
running x11 versus command line?

I would suggest removing all peripheral devices, in order to isolate the
faulty component. I would strip your system down to the bear minimum required
to boot. Motherboard + Harddrive + keyboard + monitor.

Remove any modems, NICs, floppies, basically remove all peripheral devices.
Then add them back 1 by 1, running your system long enough for the lockup to
appear.

This kind of shotgunning approach has not been required since most PCI peripherals
implement PnP correctly, and most BIOS\OS do a good job of configuring PnP peripherals.
This was the only way to resolve hardware conflicts is the bad old ISA days.

Are you using any ISA cards or cheap PCI peripherals like a $20 sound card?