Greg Lopp on Sun, 3 Mar 2002 17:36:20 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Computer Problems

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 02:25:53PM -0500, Paul wrote:
> What are acceptable temperature ranges for CPU's?

That, of course, depends upon the processor.  You can get this
info from the processor's technical specifications which are
downloadable from the manufacturer.  I have two machines here,
both AMD K6-IIs.  The 300MHz is happy 0-70C, the 450MHz is happy
0-65C.  Translating those numbers to the archaic units that we
continue to use in this area of the world, these two are fine
until they reach 158F or 149F respectively.  I'd guess the newer,
faster processors would have lower temperature tolerences,
similar to how they are more sensitive to power fluctuations, but
116f (46.6C ?)....hard to say.

The temps I mentioned above for the K6-II are the "case
temperatures".  The spec sheet for the Athlon model 4 switches
over to using the die temperature which is 90C up to the 1.1GHz
version and 95C for the processors faster than that.  Not what I
would have expected, but it still looks like Naresh has plenty of
room as far as the processor's temperature goes....

Then again, the blue bios screen isn't anywhere near giving you
processor a workout.  Can you decrease the time it takes to cause
a lockup by running something processor insensive like a big
compile or complex graphics?  Can you increase your uptime by
simply not starting X and just sitting there?

I think you mantioned that this was a newly built PC - still have
the receipt?

Greg