Charles Stack on Wed, 13 Mar 2002 15:40:12 +0100

RE: [PLUG] WAYYYY Off Topic.... [Speeding Ticket]DOOH!!

Contrary to popular belief being propogated here, the ratio of butt-head
cops to total number of cops is actually very low.  I know, I work with them
on a daily basis.  Most aren't in the game to harass people.  They enforce
traffic laws to make the roads safe for others as well as yourself (ask the
butt-head on 313 who decided to pass four cars in a no-passing
zone...oh..wait...you can't...they're DEAD). If you are driving erratically
or at a high rate of speed, then it's their sworn duty to uphold the law and
stop you.  Sometimes, you get off with a warning (I think I'd consider a
fine with no points a warning).  Other times you get nailed to wall.

In any event, if you are a speeder in a real hurry to get somewhere, the act
of delaying you from reaching your final destination is often deterrent
enough for most people.  And, they made you slow down which is what they
want in the first place.  For habitual speeders, they will catch you.  Many
police now have access to citation records issued to you in their
jurisdiction right from their car.  Not a good idea if you get a warning in
one end of the township and get nailed again in the other end (or in a data
sharing neighboring township or county...or worse, by the same officer).

While I agree that giving the officer an attitude is, as a rule, generally a
bad idea.  Has the though of obeying the law ever entered in your thoughts?
For the individual nailed on 202...  Yes, the officer has the right to stop
you in their local jurisdiction.  State troopers can stop you anywhere.
You're even more screwed if the area is a construction zone (which most of
202 is) as fines are doubled in those areas and judges less forgiving.  I
don't know about the other issues (calibration, tracking, etc) as they
relate to your case.  But, I suspect you won't have much of chance if the
officer shows up in court to present their case.