Fred K Ollinger on Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:30:56 +0100

RE: [PLUG] WAYYYY Off Topic.... [Speeding Ticket]DOOH!!

As a bicyclist, I almost die on a a daily basis b/c a driver breaks the
law. They often do it in front of officers who do nothing. I know a lot of
bikers break lots of laws too, but I don't. Also, if a biker breaks a law
and hits a car, the driver will be fine, but the law breaking biker will
suffer bad so law breaking bikers are kind of self-correcting in a
darwinian fashion.

I have been hit before in front of many witnesses, and they didn't even go
after the driver even when the driver rammed me--yes this was a deliberate
attempt on my life for having the nerve to be in a cross walk w/ the light
in my favor when he was trying to turn.

Basically, drivers treat me as if I'm an annoyance, as if three seconds of
their time is more valuable than my life. I'm just saying this for people
to think about this next time you drive and you see a silly person who
likes to walk. Don't treat him like a lump that's in your way. That's a
human like you. I drove before, and there's something like being behind a
wheel of a car to make one forget about reality, and only about trying to
go as fast as possible.

Fred Ollinger (follinge@sas.upenn.edu)
CCN sysadmin