W. Chris Shank on Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:35:19 -0500

Re: [PLUG] DNS, DHCP, SAMBA & Windows

On Thursday 14 March 2002 03:51 pm, you wrote:
> At 03:48 PM 3/14/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hello all,
> >
> >I'm setting up a small intranet LAN with a Linux box running SAMBA as the
>
> How small?  Are these all desktop machines?
>
> >primary server around several windows 98 boxes. I'm using DNS to assign IP
>
> Do you mean DHCP?
yeah, sorry.

> >addresses and I'd like the machines to be able to refer to each other by
> > name (machine.mydomain.com) . I'm having difficulty understanding how to
> > do this. I assume I need to setup a DNS server on my lan (which will also
> > be connected to the internet via a seperate firewall device), but how do
> > i get the DNS to update IP/name pairs in conjunction with DHCP? What do I
> > need to do on the windows machines besides? Wins? or just configure DNS
> > and point it to my
>
> I think samba can be a wins server.  The 98 machines would be wins clients.

isn't wins only used for SMB routing across subnets? these machines would all
be on the same network.

> >internal DNS box? I've been perusing how-to's, bit i'm a little dense and
> >need something in simple language.
>
> Have you considered using a hosts file?
yes. but this network is likely to grow over time and i may not be the one
who manages it (for a church), so i wanted to have it as Plug n Play as
possible, in case someone decides to buy a new machine and 'just plug it in'