Jarvis, John on Fri, 15 Mar 2002 19:30:14 +0100

RE: [PLUG] why say no when it is easy to say yes (previously was say no to reiser)

I have reiser on 5 of my linux machines without problems.  Actually I have
been very happy.  Now I am running 2.4.16, are there other people who have
seen problems with 2.4.17?

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred K Ollinger [mailto:follinge@sas.upenn.edu]
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 1:16 PM
To: PLUG
Subject: [PLUG] say no to reiser

> ReiserFS is a journalling filesystem.  Therefore, the integrity of the
> filesystem structure itself remains intact at all times, eliminating the

In theory anyway.

> need for an fsck upon boot in the case of an unclean shutdown.  Note
> that only the filesystem metadata is journalled, not the data itself, so
> data loss is still possible.  You just won't have to wait twenty minutes
> while your filesystems are checked.

But you will wait indefinately if you try to reboot, at least you will if
you compile reiser in 2.4.17. I have a friend who went through hell w/
reiser. She tried xfs and never looked back. I think that reiser is just
too buggy to use, so many strange errors, I also think she had data loss.
This makes ext2 look great in comparison, at least it's stable when
treated nicely. Also, my friend pulled the plug w/ a big copy of xfs
files. No troubles w/ xfs, no corruption or anything.

I have seen rh and debian xfs install disks. I'm sure suse has it as it
has everything (from what I heard) plus kitchen sink. :)

Fred