Mental on Fri, 15 Mar 2002 19:50:15 +0100

Re: [PLUG] say no to reiser

oOn Fri, 2002-03-15 at 13:15, Fred K Ollinger wrote:

> But you will wait indefinately if you try to reboot, at least you will if
> you compile reiser in 2.4.17. I have a friend who went through hell w/
> reiser. She tried xfs and never looked back. I think that reiser is just
> too buggy to use, so many strange errors, I also think she had data loss.

I ran reiserfs on 2.4.17 with zero problems. Now I'm using 2.4.18. Was
this on an intel box? Was it compiled as a module? Was there a matching
System.map? Just wondering.

> This makes ext2 look great in comparison, at least it's stable when
> treated nicely. Also, my friend pulled the plug w/ a big copy of xfs
> files. No troubles w/ xfs, no corruption or anything.

Journaled file systems are still susceptible to data loss. You just
don't need to sit and wait as long :)

I'm using ReiserFS and ext3. If you already have an ext2 box, switch to
ext3. You don't need to format anything, its really simple.

--

Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

Why is the alphabet in that order?  Is it because of that song?
The guy who wrote that song wrote everything.
--Steven Wright

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/Mental.asc