Fred K Ollinger on Fri, 15 Mar 2002 20:20:28 +0100

Re: [PLUG] say no to reiser

> > But you will wait indefinately if you try to reboot, at least you will if
> > you compile reiser in 2.4.17.
>
> 'Scuse me?

Hey not trying to bash reiser, but I had some bad experience that I'm
sharing. I'm glad that things are working out for other people.

> I've run Reiser on my filesystems since late 2.2 and never had a
> problem.  I'm running 2.4.17 now, and my data disagrees with your
> blanket statement.

I messed up. I believe that reiser works great for some people.

Did anyone try to use tune2fs to convert over to ext3? Any troubles,
successes? I did change fstab to ext3, had kernel mods and everything, but
I still was fscking ext3 forever (yes ext3). I don't know why. Maybe I'm
just cursed. I reinstalled w/ a fresh ext3 and it worked great.

Just in case people thinking I'm making this up for some reason, others
have shared my pain:

http://www.debianplanet.net/comments.php?op=showreply&tid=7004&sid=617&pid=7002&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0#7004

Personally, I'm not switching my system to anything for a while, though
I'd like to play around w/ a spare partition. I find ext2 to be great, I
don't restart my system hardly ever anyway, and it rarely goes down, and
it's all backed up anyway so it's not worth the trouble. If ext2 suddenly
goes nutty (power outage?) I'll switch then, but it's nice to hear that
people are experimenting w/ making our fs experiences better. Thanks for
the advice. I do take what you say very seriously, Bill.

Fred