Tobias DiPasquale on Sun, 17 Mar 2002 00:52:43 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux Virus Writing HOWTO

On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 19:21, Michael Leone wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 23:56, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:

> > > What about Win2000, then? It's security model tries to come close to a
> > > Unix model, with user accounts deliberately kept separate from the
> > > "root" user.
> >
> > Unfortunately, you still need to have Administrator privileges to do
> > anything worthwhile on Win2K, as well as Win.NET Server/XP. You cannot
> > install any programs (since InstallShield just *HAS* to screw with the
> > Registry),
>
> I've installed software as "Power Users" before; they're less than
> Administrator.

Power Users are administrators that can't change system files. (well,
not without knowing the trick, that is) That's the only difference.

> > nor change any system-wide environment variables nor start
> > any service without having administrator priviledges.
>
> Can't services start as specified administrative users, while users log
> in as themselves? User accounts can't start services, not as themselves.

Yes, but you have to be an administrator to *install* a service to being
with. You cannot make changes to anything in the Component Services
panel without being an administrator.

--
<< T o b i a s   D i P a s q u a l e >>
anany@ece.villanova.edu | tdipas01@villanova.edu | toby@khenry.com

Of course, in order to partially emulate an ASR-33, you could perhaps
connect an
IBM selectric up to your computer while running a looped recording of
gunfight
and an idling 58 chevy with one blown piston. For the final touch, you
could replace
the room's light switch with a dimmer switch and wiggle it back and
forth whenever
you are printing something out.

-- Anonymous Coward, SlashDot, commenting about Caldera's release of
some
   original UNIX sources