Fred K Ollinger on Sun, 17 Mar 2002 14:19:16 -0500

[PLUG] linux sw install

> Right. But they can install software. And not all software needs to be
> installed as Administrator. And most things I install on my Linux
> systems wants me to install as root. Not run, just install. Same thing,
> isn't it?

No. Actually any decent linux installer will let you install as a user. I
make a ~/bin dir for that purpose and put my path there. This has been
basic to unix for decades. The unix community can't be responsible, for
people who broke that model any more than the windows community can be
responsible for those who write bad drivers or have terrible uis.

But I have changed system variables that only affect myself such as QTDIR.

Well, I wouldn't want someone running a webserver as a user, I'd want to
know about it as an admin. At this level, this is what you have admins
for. But they can make web pages all by themselves on systems where I set
up a webserver, and they can do it from a windows box w/o knowing anything
about linux.

> Ditto for most stuff in Linux. I can't start up many services as a
> regular user.

All/some fallacy. There are actually some that you can start as a regular
user, heck more and more services are trying to run as regular users, but
not all can be started as regular users, and I don't know why the tone
above seems to suggest that this is a flaw in linux (or unix). Linux has
many flaws, but this is not one of them.

I suggest that a simple book on unix philosophy is read and thought about
for a week, while one works on the console for that week and forget all
about the MS mentality, then we can all come back and talk about the real
problems that linux has and how we can all make it better.

Fred