Flint Heart on Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:59:29 -0500

Re: [PLUG] say no to reiser

> Please note, you cannot use kernel modules for ext3 if your root
> filesystem is an ext3 filesystem.

You can use modules for ext3 and reiserfs although you need to use and
initrd image that contains those modules. 1 out of my 4 reiserfs boxes
actualy uses modules for reiserfs.  I usualy compile it into the kernel for
my convienence.  I've had almost no issues with reiserfs of the period that
i've used it. ( one of my webservers uses it and it's been using it since
the 2.2 series and is now using it under the 2.4)  Most issues i've had are
stupid user issues(me accidently specifing the ext2 partition as root in
lilo and then mounting the reiserfs as root in the fstab. that was
nightmarish)  The other main issue I've had has been when i've tested it
while under heavy load and the disk thrashing I've had some data loss when
i've unplugged the box.  I'm sure if i was using ext2 I'd be doing a manual
fsck to try and fix the dammage though.  Other than silly issues like that
I've had a pretty stable set of experiences with reiserfs.  My main
deskstop system and my work machine which I both use daily run reiserfs  I
just wish more programs would be able to deal with the >2gb file size that
is supported by some of the new filesystems (reiser and xfs If memmory
serves me correct)  enough of my rambling.  i'm sick and just wanted to
report some positive experiences with reiserfs.

N-Tropy