epike on Tue, 19 Mar 2002 19:30:13 +0100

Re: [PLUG] (sw-raid)

> Ok Since I started this! ....  I am seriously thinking of using raid 1 -
> two drives mirrored. ReiserFS is not supported in SW raid so that is out,
> but should I use ext2  or ext3? Can I use ext3 in sw raid? Is there any
> problem with using SW raid? It appears this has a write penalty but a
> read benefit - assuming linux optimizes the reads.
>
> I will be using identical IDE drives on two separate IDE channels NO
> slaves.
>
> Comments?

I've been using software raid for > 2 months and its great.  I'm
using ext2 on it, though I'm thinking of converting them to
ext3.  I have 2 IDE drives on a Promise Ultra/100 TX2, one is
a 20-gig Ultra66 and one is a 40 gig Ultra100 (NO slave drives).

I haven't tried root-raid though; the OS boots in a non-raid
partition and mounts the raid partitions.

The only problem I am having is that once in a while the kernel
spits out this error message:

   Mar  3 07:14:28 XXXXXXX kernel: hde: timeout waiting for DMA

or some such and then the raid subsystem would then resync
the 2 disks.  I think this is a hardware problem though.

The only other problem I have is that I am even *more* lazy to
backup my disks, since I know its on raid...

JondZ / E.Pike