Kyle R . Burton on Wed, 20 Mar 2002 14:35:38 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Apache user dirs?

> >and are all the directoreis leading up to public_html
> >marked as (chmod 777) executable by the webserver?
>
>          Yes.  I think they are world executable...

Technicaly it doesn't have to be world executable, as long as it's group
executable _and_ the user and the webserver both share a common group.
Most user/admins just make the directories world executable.

>          But I just discovered that just creating those directories does
> NOT make the system see it as a "user directory".  So I did an adduser to
> make it a "real user" and it's working GREAT!

I think when Apache sees '~name', it has to make a call to getpwnam() (or
the equivalent for your os) to get the location of the user's home directory.
That's necessary since each user could have a different home directory.  Take
a look at the passwd file installed by your distribution, it likely contains
alternate homes for users like dns, mail, nobody, posgres, and so on.
The default Apache config also should includes a Directory rule to only
show user dirs if they match a common pattern, such as /home/*/public_html,
most of the other non-standard home directories will be excluded by virtue
of not having a Directory setting (or defaulting to the one for / which
is typicly no access).

I could be wrong, it's been a litle while since I've had to think about this
kind of stuff.