Mental on Wed, 20 Mar 2002 15:15:21 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Apache user dirs?

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 14:10, Kyle R . Burton wrote:
> > For a standard install of apache via Debian packages, what's the URL syntax
> > to a user's home directory?
> >
> > I tried:
> >
> > http://server/~name/index.html
> > http://server/name/index.html
> > http://server/users/name/index.html
> > http://server/home/name/index.html
>
> The http://server/~user/ syntax usualy maps to ~user/public_html in Apache
> default installs -- does the user in question have a public_html directory
> in their home directory, and are all the directoreis leading up to public_html
> marked as (chmod 777) executable by the webserver?

I know you meant chmod 755 :)

Also, look for a snippet like this in httpd.conf:
<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
     UserDir public_html
</IfModule>

--

Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
--Steven Wright

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/Mental.asc