jaw+plug on Wed, 20 Mar 2002 16:06:41 -0500

Re: [PLUG] xDSL

| Well actually one just went bankrupt late last summer. Have you seen the
| boxes and antennas hanging on utitity poles in the Philly area? That was
| to be wireless internet. It never made it. I am not sure who owns the
| stuff - maybe the bank. It used bluetooth technology I believe.

That would be "Ricochet". It used a proprietary radio technology
at approx 128kbps.

The assets were recently acquired by "Aerie Networks", who plans
on re-activating the service in some areas. Currently only Denver
is active. SF, LA, SD, NY, and DC are planned for later in the year.
Philly is not currently on the list.

If you are an IEEE member, there was an article, "What went
wrong at Ricochet", in the March 2002 Spectrum. It does not
appear to be available online to non-members though.

	--jeff

see also:
	www.ricochet.com
	www.aerienetworks.com