Martin DiViaio on Sat, 23 Mar 2002 16:10:10 +0100

Re: [PLUG] xDSL

On the 20th day of March in the year 2002 you wrote:

> Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 15:30:21 -0500 (EST)
> From: Doug Crompton <wa3dsp@crompton.com>
> To: Phila Linux Users Group <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] xDSL
>
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
>
> Well actually one just went bankrupt late last summer. Have you seen the
> boxes and antennas hanging on utitity poles in the Philly area? That was
> to be wireless internet. It never made it. I am not sure who owns the
> stuff - maybe the bank. It used bluetooth technology I believe.

Bluetooth was never really intended for that sort of thing.

Wireless is really a very volitile technology right now. Large scale
wireless connectivity is comming but the standards still need to shake out
a bit. Especially with the recent release of 802.11A.