Jon Galt on Fri, 22 Mar 2002 21:10:19 +0100

Re: [PLUG] "evils of PPPOE"

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
>          It's not security-issue evil -

Good.

> it's technically and
> philosophically evil.  The only reason that PPPOE exists is to provide
> ISP's with a way to do to the Internet what the Telco's do with POTS - bill
> you by the minute!  And the technical aspects of how it's implemented, as
> it's name implies, should just give anybody the willies!

I suppose I should refrain from mentioning free enterprise, remembering
that last long debate on the subject.  Damn, I just did. :-)

By the way, my ISP (Earthlink) does not charge by the minute.  As for the
insecurity of ethernet (which I'm guessing you're referring to), that's
what firewalls are for!  Or is it some negative aspect of PPP that you
meant?

Thanks for your answer.

Wayne

Need an experienced programmer who knows
both the Unix and Microsoft worlds?

Then you need to hire wayne:
http://hirewayne.com

wayne@hirewayne.com