Tobias DiPasquale on Sat, 23 Mar 2002 03:40:11 +0100

Re: Job Postings was Re: [PLUG] Another Job Opening [Network Admin - Plymouth Meeting]

On Fri, 2002-03-22 at 21:13, Chuck Peters wrote:

> I think its time for a list policy change.  This is a Linux User Group
> list and it is not appropriate to advertise jobs which do not require any
> Linux skills.
>
> I think these kinds of posts diminish the quality of the list and allow
> head hunters and others to profit from the easy access to highly technical
> and qualified people on the list.
>
> Perhaps the group should charge fees to advertise non-Linux jobs and allow
> advertising Linux jobs free of charge.  To qualify as a free posted
> Linux job, a large part of the job should require Linux.  Jobs that
> require mostly MS and a little bit of Linux should not qualify for free
> postings.

Let me just preface this by saying that I am a staunch supporter of
Linux and Open Source, and have actually come to fisticuffs with M$
apologists in the past.

> Agreed?

No. How is it that you want to enforce this cost-per-message model? Are
we to give our credit card numbers upon signup for this list? And what
about people who access this list from a news gateway (as I do)? While
your idea may be nice in theory, it would be nearly impossible to manage
in practice. If you __REALLY__ don't want to see M$ postings that bad,
then we just block those members from the list after they perpetrate the
crime one time. That's a much simpler, easier task and will get the
point across with much more immediacy.

> Thanks,
> Chuck
>
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, JP Toto wrote:
>
> > Here's the particulars:
> >
> > Company: Advisorport - A small financial services firm
> > in Plymouth Meeting.
> >
> > The Network Manager will be responsible for the
> > technical infrastructure needs of the company to
> > conduct business operations. He/she will also manage
> > the information services plan that addresses the needs
> > of the company?s technical operations.
> >
> > He/she must have experience with:
> > - Implementing innovative web-based system solutions
> > - Increasing the efficiency of operations
> > - Maintaining hardware and software programs at
> > minimal cost of repair or replacement
> > - Mentoring employees on problem solving techniques
> > - Resolving hardware/software conflicts and system
> > security
> >
> > Primary Responsibilities
> > -System administrator and web master for the company
> > -Serve as a lead for the company?s system related
> > projectsReview and suggest policy/procedural
> > guidelines for the company?s infrastructure
> > -Use experience and judgment to make business
> > recommendations to senior management
> > -Develop and maintain efficient operations of LAN, and
> > PC desktops/servers
> > -Perform feasibility studies, systems analysis,
> > application development and maintenance
> > -Oversee installation, configuration, and maintenance
> > of servers and workstations
> >
> > Primary Experience Requirements
> > Minimum of 7 years of IT experience
> > 5+ years experience with enterprise networks; Windows
> > NT 4.0 Enterprise to Windows 2000 Enterprise
> > 2+ years experience related to the Internet Servers;
> > perferrably IIS
> > 2+ years experience related to the Internet or service
> > business
> > Bachelor?s degree from four-year college or university
> > Microsoft Certification (MCSE)
> >
> > If anyone's interested of has any questions I can be
> > reaced at:
> >
> > JP Toto
> > jtoto@advisorport.com
> >
> > - Cheerios, - JP
> >
> > =====
> > JP Toto
> > ViceClown@yahoo.com

<< T o b i a s   D i P a s q u a l e >>
anany@ece.villanova.edu | tdipas01@villanova.edu | toby@khenry.com

Of course, in order to partially emulate an ASR-33, you could perhaps
connect an
IBM selectric up to your computer while running a looped recording of
gunfight
and an idling 58 chevy with one blown piston. For the final touch, you
could replace
the room's light switch with a dimmer switch and wiggle it back and
forth whenever
you are printing something out.

-- Anonymous Coward, SlashDot, commenting about Caldera's release of
some
   original UNIX sources