Mental Patient on Sun, 24 Mar 2002 17:24:16 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux Bootable CD

On Sun, 2002-03-24 at 16:20, Doug Crompton wrote:
> Yes a slow Sunday here too...
>
> Another thing.... the blanket statement that CD's cannot contain blank
> space is not true. CDRW's under direct CD in Win enviroments is treated
> like a hard drive. Files are randomly added, erased, modified. Also since
> you can only write a CDRW 999 times there are optimizations to spread the
> writes over the surface, thus reducing the number of write to any one
> area. So at least in the case of a CDRW, created in Windows, dd would copy
> blank space, assuming it does a disk image.

Thats a packet written (ufs) file system. I still wish they worked under
linux properly. I suppose I should be happy I can even read them.....

--

Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

I used to own an ant farm but had to give it up.  I couldn't
find tractors small enough to fit it.
--Steven Wright

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/Mental.asc