Doug Crompton on Sun, 24 Mar 2002 16:20:55 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux Bootable CD

Yes a slow Sunday here too...

Another thing.... the blanket statement that CD's cannot contain blank
space is not true. CDRW's under direct CD in Win enviroments is treated
like a hard drive. Files are randomly added, erased, modified. Also since
you can only write a CDRW 999 times there are optimizations to spread the
writes over the surface, thus reducing the number of write to any one
area. So at least in the case of a CDRW, created in Windows, dd would copy
blank space, assuming it does a disk image.

BTW I rarely use this, at least the Adaptec (roxio) direct CD. I have
found it causes too many weird problems. When it works it is nice though.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *