Michael Leone on Sun, 24 Mar 2002 16:52:25 -0500

[PLUG] Updating Libranet

I originally only sent this to PADS, but then figured there might be
some Debian users on PLUG who aren't also on PADS.

-----Forwarded Message-----

From: Michael Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com>
To: PADS <pads@LinuxForce.net>
Subject: Updating Libranet
Date: 24 Mar 2002 16:44:42 -0500

So I decided to try out Libranet as my day to day workstation.
Unfortunately, it's missing some things I want/need.

(yes, it's the download version. If I like it, I'll buy the pay version)

I've done the usual apt-get update && apt-get upgrade. However, there
are still things I want that aren't here. Specifically:

I want a later KDE. This comes with KDE 2.2; I want the 2.2.2.
Ditto ALSA, CUPS, RealPlayer, and a few other necessaries.
I need a later kernel than 2.4.3, because I will need to patch it for
use with Win4Lin (can't live without the Win4Lin).

The sources.list looks like this:

#Libranet
deb http://libranetlinux.com updates/

#Debian
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/ potato/non-US main contrib non-free
deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security potato/updates main
contrib non-free

#KDE
deb ftp://kde.tdyc.com/debian potato main crypto optional qt1apps

#helixcode
deb http://red-carpet.ximian.com/debian stable main

I tried changing "potato" to "testing", and apt-get updating && apt-get
dist-upgrade, but that broke many things - KDE wasn't fully updated (no
konqueror, etc), due to dependencies; same for GNOME; etc. And I use
KDE, with some GNOME programs, as my day-to-day.

SO:

What do I need to add, to get the latest KDE 2.2.2?
Ditto kernels. I'm used to just downloading the source form kernel.org,
and doing it myself,  but I want to try whatever the Debian way is, so
it updates any ancillary programs - such as modutils, etc - that the
latest kernel needs.

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

The secret of flying is simple: Throw yourself at the ground and miss.