Doug Crompton on Mon, 25 Mar 2002 23:05:29 -0500

Re: [PLUG] ISDN

Thanks Bill for a good rundown on ISDN. It seems now that the ISP I had
contacted is backing off on the 24/7 they had promised. I hope I can't get
that worked out. The compalint is that ISD ties up a modem like a dial-in
vs. DSL which does not. Heck I should buy them a modem and stop the
complaining.

Anyone else have any ISDN stories? Anyone running 24/7 with it to an ISP?

Doug

 On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, William H. Magill wrote:

> Important thing to remember -- ISDN is a TARIFFED data service.
>
> Unlike DSL service, ISDN service is GUARANTEED to be 128/128 all the time
> and it really is! And if it isn't, Bell (or whoever) will fix it. No
> worries about, "we don't support anyting over 2400 baud."
>
> However, also unlike DSL, your "destination" must be able to answer an
> incoming ISDN call. Many ISPs do not have that capability, and will charge
> you substantially more for an ISDN based connection because of that -- ie
> You are paying for THEIR ISDN service as well as yours!  ISDN service does
> not have a "cloud" like SMDS or DSL. It is a point-to-point, switched
> service. Even though ISDN is a dial service, you cannot simply dial
> somebody's POTS line. You can only dial another ISDN line... but you CAN
> dial ANY ISDN line in the world.
>
> DSL over ISDN is a "normal" product for many ISPs. You can actually get a
> slightly higher baud rate by "nailing-up" your ISDN connection to one
> receiving phone number and then combining the two primary channels and the
> signaling channel (B). Otherwise you can only combine the two primary
> channels. This was a regular product offered by COVAD at one time, I don't
> know if they still offer it or not.
>
> If they have finally made ISDN flat rate, then it is a good deal, otherwise
> it is VERY expensive.
>
> The other nice thing about ISDN and DSL over ISDN -- there is NO distance
> limit!!! ISDN can work over virtually infinite distances.
>
> As for Linux working with ISDN -- Why bother!?! Put it another way. ISDN is
> a serial line connection, just like DSL. There is no rational reason to
> convert your Linux box into an ISDN modem. Sure you CAN do it, but why
> waste the CPU cycles on all of the ISDN overhead. Let the modem do the job.
> Older ISDN modems only offered and RS232 output connection -- most
> contemporary ISDN modems offer an Ethernet port.
>
> --
> T.T.F.N.
> William H. Magill                          Senior Systems Administrator
> Information Services and Computing (ISC)   Networking & Telecommunications
> University of Pennsylvania
> magill@isc.upenn.edu                       magill@acm.org
> http://www.isc-net.upenn.edu/~magill/      magill@mcgillsoceity.org

*  Doug Crompton	   *