Michael C. Toren on Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:51:39 -0500

Re: [PLUG] ISDN

> Thanks Bill for a good rundown on ISDN. It seems now that the ISP I had
> contacted is backing off on the 24/7 they had promised. I hope I can't get
> that worked out. The compalint is that ISD ties up a modem like a dial-in
> vs. DSL which does not. Heck I should buy them a modem and stop the
> complaining.

Unfortunately, it's a little more complicated than that.  Most ISP's are
using PRI's (a T1 circuit with 23 ISDN-capable, 64k channels) rather than
individual analog and individual ISDN lines attached to external modem
banks.  I'm sorry to say, but I think you're going to have a very hard time
finding an ISP that will sell you a dual-channel, dedicated dialup account
for a monthly price you'd be willing to pay.

-mct