Doug Crompton on Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:05:45 -0500

Re: [PLUG] ISDN

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Michael C. Toren wrote:

> Unfortunately, it's a little more complicated than that.  Most ISP's are
> using PRI's (a T1 circuit with 23 ISDN-capable, 64k channels) rather than
> individual analog and individual ISDN lines attached to external modem
> banks.  I'm sorry to say, but I think you're going to have a very hard time
> finding an ISP that will sell you a dual-channel, dedicated dialup account
> for a monthly price you'd be willing to pay.
>
> -mct

You are right! The final quote came in at $150 for ISP charges and $65 for
verizon charges/month. Not to mention the hardware cost. Not a good
alternative.

BUT - say a prayer for me! It looks like Quest will hook me up. 256/256
RADSL - $99/month - $79 for 2 year agreement. totaly free installation
including in house wiring to the site and a modem/router. I pay a one time
charge of $50 for 5 static IP's.

Very friendly and responsive so far.

How do these Web qualification programs work - Measuring loop distance
remotely. They all give different numbers. I suspect they are using
geographical distance. Which in my case is about right. The only other way
is if there is some built-in test at the switch. A TDR would tell you I
guess. I want to try a resistor across the line and look at voltage drop
and current and determine distance based on resistance assuming 26Ga.

Doug