LeRoy Cressy on Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:39:46 -0500

Re: [PLUG] firewall

Michael Whitman wrote:

> If it is linux and a fairly recent distro you may already have IPTABLES
> installed.
> Stuff which will be helpful can be found at
> http://netfilter.samba.org/documentation/index.html#whatis
>
> At 02:40 PM 3/27/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >I want firewalling protection on just one machine

For a really quick filter use:

http://netfilter.samba.org/documentation/HOWTO//packet-filtering-HOWTO-5.html

Most people just have a single PPP connection to the Internet, and don't
want anyone coming back into their
network, or the firewall:

    ## Insert connection-tracking modules (not needed if built into
kernel).
    # insmod ip_conntrack
    # insmod ip_conntrack_ftp

    ## Create chain which blocks new connections, except if coming from
inside.
    # iptables -N block
    # iptables -A block -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
    # iptables -A block -m state --state NEW -i ! ppp0 -j ACCEPT
    # iptables -A block -j DROP

    ## Jump to that chain from INPUT and FORWARD chains.
    # iptables -A INPUT -j block
    # iptables -A FORWARD -j block

--
Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\