Doug Crompton on Wed, 27 Mar 2002 01:19:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Changing boot device

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Bill Jonas wrote:

> Have you looked at:
>
> Hard-Disk-Upgrade, Hard Disk Upgrade Mini HOWTO
>
> Updated: April 2000. How to copy a Linux system from one hard disk to
> another.
>
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/index.html
>
> --
> Bill Jonas    *    bill@billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
>
> Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html

I will look at it again. I don't want to copy or upgrade though. I want to
take a disk that is now mounted as HDF and mount it HDA. I assume I need
to make a boot floppy saying that my root - now /dev/hdf7 is /dev/hda7 and
then change fstab for all the partitions. But I am not sure of the order.
I can't change fstab or the system won't umount right? Do I need to boot
the root as hdfa, mount it RW and then change all hdf's to hda's in fstab.

Is there an automated way to do this. Using SuSe 7.3

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *