Mental Patient on Wed, 27 Mar 2002 08:44:35 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Changing boot device

On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 01:18, Doug Crompton wrote:

> I will look at it again. I don't want to copy or upgrade though. I want to
> take a disk that is now mounted as HDF and mount it HDA. I assume I need
> to make a boot floppy saying that my root - now /dev/hdf7 is /dev/hda7 and
> then change fstab for all the partitions. But I am not sure of the order.
> I can't change fstab or the system won't umount right? Do I need to boot
> the root as hdfa, mount it RW and then change all hdf's to hda's in fstab.
>
> Is there an automated way to do this. Using SuSe 7.3

Last time I did something like that, I changed around the hard drives,
told lilo where the root was with root=/dev/hdaX, booted into single
user mode, changed fstab and lilo.conf, reran lilo and rebooted. I think
I made 2 incorrect guesses. But thats fine, it'll just complain it cant
find init. I really should have written down my partition scheme first
:)

But it was my only drive. I was moving it off an UDMA100 controller into
a sytem that had a built in UDMA100 controller. So it was fairly simple.

--

Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

It too close to my house.  I was
walking from the living room to the kitchen, and the stewardess
told me to sit down.
--Steven Wright

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/Mental.asc