gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:56:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Changing boot device

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:18:33AM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> I will look at it again. I don't want to copy or upgrade though. I want to
> take a disk that is now mounted as HDF and mount it HDA. I assume I need
> to make a boot floppy saying that my root - now /dev/hdf7 is /dev/hda7 and
> then change fstab for all the partitions. But I am not sure of the order.

Um... why?

There's no reason you can't boot of hdf. It's just a name. No need
for it to be hda.

> I can't change fstab or the system won't umount right? Do I need to boot
> the root as hdfa, mount it RW and then change all hdf's to hda's in fstab.

No, you need to change first the MBR boot partition, then boot
single user and change your fstab.

> Is there an automated way to do this. Using SuSe 7.3

I wouldn't know. This isn't really something that ought be
automated.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net