gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 29 Mar 2002 06:20:09 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Wireless (was ISDN)

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 11:49:33PM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> Still trying to get that ellusive access! It looks like wireless is here.
> Many areas are rolling it out at T1 Rates and higher. Some of the
> residential rates are very DSL competitive!

I set up a wireless deal with a place I worked (as a summer intern)
a couple of years ago. This was in St. Louis, MO.

The bandwidth was what they claimed, didn't seem to be significantly
affected by weather, and we didn't come up with any fried pigeons on
the roof.

Be aware that all fixed wireless is a line-of-sight thing. If
there's a tree in the way, you do lose. The provider in STL had the
one array on a fairly tall building in down town and the tallest
building in a commercial area of a nearby suburb, so it wasn't hard
to hit business, but home's were a little more quetionable. I'd
expect that an ISP claiming they could hit homes actually means it.
(No, you won't get latency like you do with satellite connections;
the signal's not going anywhere near as far.)

Also be aware that, if you don't own the building you live in,
you'll have to get roof rights from the owner. This turned out to be
a much bigger deal than I'd anticipated (it ended up that the dish
we had put in provided for the rest of the building, with the
company I worked for forking over all of the installation but splitting
the monthly fees). Whether it matters for you will depend entirely
on your landlord.

(I could never get fixed wireless where I live now; my building's
too short and there's no way the landlord would go with it. But I've
already got DSL. :^>)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net