gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 31 Mar 2002 11:58:27 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Can't compile kernel on Libranet

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 10:57:18AM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> Why would the connection be refused? "make menuconfig" works, so I could
> use that, but I prefer xconfig.
>
> (and yes, I did this from an xterm in KDE, like I always used to)

Because you're logged in as you but trying to start an X client as
root.

You own your .Xauthority file, and X enforces (as it should) the
restriction that other people can't start X clients on your console
unless you explicitly allow it.

So, either log in as root, or do an xhost +localhost ; su ;
DISPLAY=localhost:0.0.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net