Michael Leone on Sun, 31 Mar 2002 12:35:33 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Can't compile kernel on Libranet

On Sun, 2002-03-31 at 11:57, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 10:57:18AM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> > Why would the connection be refused? "make menuconfig" works, so I could
> > use that, but I prefer xconfig.
> >
> > (and yes, I did this from an xterm in KDE, like I always used to)
>
> Because you're logged in as you but trying to start an X client as
> root.
>
> You own your .Xauthority file, and X enforces (as it should) the
> restriction that other people can't start X clients on your console
> unless you explicitly allow it.

HUNH. That was it. Yet I'm almost certain I never had to LOGIN as root
to do make xconfig before (w/Mandrake); I could do a "su", and then
issue a make xconfig.

Oh, well. It worked, so thanks.

> So, either log in as root, or do an xhost +localhost ; su ;
> DISPLAY=localhost:0.0.
>
> --
> gabriel rosenkoetter
> gr@eclipsed.net

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

The secret of flying is simple: Throw yourself at the ground and miss.