Michael Leone on Mon, 1 Apr 2002 22:17:47 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Kernel recompiles with GRUB

On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 21:46, Beldon Dominello wrote:
> On Monday 01 April 2002 21:32, you wrote:
> > I'm going to recompile my kernel. Previously, I always made a new image;
> > added a stanza to LILO; and re-ran LILO. With GRUB, I just make the new
> > image, as before; add a section to GRUB's menu.lst; and do a
> > update-grub. And that should be it, right? With GRUB, the bootloader
> > doesn't have to be re-installed after each kernel compile, the way LILO
> > does; you just run update-grub.
>
> You don't run 'update-grub' because the change is picked up in the file.

Oh? But I wanna keep the old (original) kernel, so my kernel image will
have it's own name (vmlinuz-2.4.16-MJL). I thought that menu.lst wasn't
updated properly (with new entries), until you ran update-grub. Or am I
mis-understanding this GRUB stuff again?

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

The secret of flying is simple: Throw yourself at the ground and miss.