Jon Galt on Tue, 2 Apr 2002 00:40:13 +0200

[PLUG] Re: file system help! (fwd)

More info from my friend...

Wayne

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 12:47:19 -0500
From: Richard O. Hammer <ROHammer@earthlink.net>
To: Jon Galt <jongalt@pinn.net>
Subject: Re: file system help!

>>Your friend is running fsck.ext3 incorrectly. The fsck program wants a
device not the mount point of a device.

Thank you, Wayne.

This is an enlightening point.  I don't see any manual entries
for fsck.ext2 or fsck.ext3 on my RH 7.0 (which I have
running).  According to the manual entry for fsck, fsck can be
called with either a device or a mount point, and it says fsck
is just a front end for underlying cousins so that would make
me suspect fsck.ext3 could take a mount point.  But I think I
read somewhere that fsck.ext2 and fsck.ext3 both just point to
e2fsck, and the manual entry for e2fsck says it wants a
device.  So probably fsck.ext3 does have to be called with a
device.

>>Since you did not say what drive/partition/interface the root partition (/) is on, I can't tell you what device you are looking for.

Yes.  This is part of what is confusing me.  This error is
occurring during execution of the script /etc/rc.sysinit.
Specifically, it is executing this line in /etc/rc.sysinit:
        initlog -c "fsck -T -a $fsckoptions /"

(and fsckoptions is -C, as I have discovered)
This occurs while the root filesystem is mounted read-only,
and it has not been clear to me what device it was on while
mounted read-only.  But now it occurs to me that it must be on
the device where I put it when setting up the partitions with
Disk Druid during installation, which is probably the only
device it's ever on.  And it must be that one of the duties of
fsck is to discover which device is involved before it calls
fsck.ext2, when fsck is called with a mount point rather than
a device, as in the above command line.

Well, I can run fsck.ext3 or e2fsck on that /dev/hda6 (the
partition where I've got root in my present attempt), and it
passes, "clean".

This is educational.  I'm learning.  But I am still getting
that error.  Incidentally, the command-line where it is
crashing,
	(initlog -c "fsck -T -a $fsckoptions /")
occurs in the /etc/rc.sysinit of both my RH 7.0 and RH 7.2,
but it crashes only in 7.2.

Rich