Bill Jonas on Tue, 2 Apr 2002 03:04:59 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Hard Disk Partitions

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 10:58:07PM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> Comments?

If you use ext2 or ext3 and accidentally delete a file, you have a
greater chance of recovering it if you can unmount the partition it was
on, and the sooner the better.

Here's my notes from a PLUG presentation I did on the subject:
<http://www.billjonas.com/papers/undeletion.html>

Another reason might be if you were running a machine whose main purpose
is to serve mail and provide shell accounts.  I believe you can't assign
quotas by directory, just by partition.  So if you want to give someone
10MB for their mail and 20MB for their files, you'd need at least two
partitions; / and /var.  Admittedly, this is not applicable to most
regular people.

If you like to try different distributions, having /home on its own
partition is quite handy.

Basically, though, it really just comes down to admin preference.  I
prefer to have multiple partitions; this preference came to be after an
errant rm command which was mistakenly executed in my home directory.
Maybe you prefer to have one big partition; that's fine too (although
I'd say you were silly ;-) ).

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html