Mike Leone on Tue, 2 Apr 2002 08:54:36 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Kernel recompiles with GRUB

> > Oh? But I wanna keep the old (original) kernel, so my kernel image will
> > have it's own name (vmlinuz-2.4.16-MJL). I thought that menu.lst wasn't
> > updated properly (with new entries), until you ran update-grub. Or am I
> > mis-understanding this GRUB stuff again?
>
> Hmmm.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding it.  I haven't used it but once (on my
> laptop) and I don't think I've ever compiled on it (source won't fit).
> Sorry.  I thought I knew what I was talking about. <Puts paper bag over head>

Remember to breathe under there, Beldon. :-)

What I did was compile a new kernel image called vmlinuz-2.4.16-MJL. This allowed me to keep the original kernel image (vmlinuz-2.4.16), in case I screwed something up, and my kernel didn't boot (as it didn't, since I forgot to check an important option in the config).

Anyway, I added a new line to the menu.lst, referencing my new kernel, and did a update-grub.

GRUB then made me 2 new menu options - my new kernel in multi-user mode, and my new kernel in single user mode. It left the original as it was, which allowed me to boot properly, so I could go in and fix my config.

As an aside ... I have a new Athalon 1700, on a KT266A chipset, with a ATA-100 drive. I started the kernel compile (make dep ; make clean ; make bzImage) just as a commercial came on the TV. And that part of the compile was done when the commercial break was done. :-) Major difference from my P3-550, non-ATA-100 disk.