Bill Jonas on Tue, 2 Apr 2002 11:58:33 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Hard Disk Partitions

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 11:26:26AM -0500, Samantha Samuel wrote:
> But I believe that on Linux I am limited to 12 partitions, i.e 9
> extended ones.

You sure about that?  On my system, the partition numbers on the hd*
entries in /dev go all the way up to 20.  And the minor device numbers
on the pairs of devices, like hda and hdb, jump from 20 to 64 while
retaining the same major number.  For example, hda is major 3 minor 0,
hda1 is 3,1, up to hda20, which is 3,20.  Then hdb is 3,64, hdb1 is
3,65, on through hdb20 which is 3,84.  Then hdc and hdd repeat the
process but with major 22.  I'd be inclined to presume that you'd be
limited to 63 partitions per device, or 59 extended partitions (64 minor
numbers - 1 for the whole disk - 4 for the primary partitions), just
going by the major/minor device numbers.
linux/Documentation/devices.txt seems to bear this assumption out.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html