Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 2 Apr 2002 20:23:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Hard Disk Partitions

> These arguments don't make sense to me, perhaps partly because you
> didn't explain them. Here's my take on why I disagree with what you
> say wrt /home and /var:

I don't know about /var on workstation, but I do have a separate home.

I like it b/c I can reformat my other partitions completely and install a
diff distro of linux if I need to. YMMV, though, Gabriel, I usually agree
w/ everything you say, but this time, I'm a bit confused. I think that a
separate /home on a workstation is pretty obvious in its usefulness. Hell,
I'd even like to get several distros all shareing the same /home, but
that's not what most people do, I guess. I have heard similar args made
for logging in as root, only, all the time. Not what I'd do, but I'm not
going to try and stop someone. It's their workstation.

Oh, finally, my /home is used by all my friends. I think it's great to
share a computer and not have to worry about them rooting into all my top
secret stuff. :)

Fred