gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 2 Apr 2002 14:51:15 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Hard Disk Partitions

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 02:17:21PM -0500, LeRoy Cressy wrote:
> In an office enviroment I would want the workstations with a
> separate /home partition while it is always good to have a separate
> /var partition for any system connected to the Internet.  Having
> one humongous partition is good for a system that never directly
> connected to the Internet.

These arguments don't make sense to me, perhaps partly because you
didn't explain them. Here's my take on why I disagree with what you
say wrt /home and /var:

Why should workstations have a separate /home? Are they not used by
approximately one user? I don't even log out of my NetBSD
workstation at work, I just run xscreensaver. It's effectively a
single user machine. If I want to do a lot of coding or compilation
work in my home directory (just because that's the "right" way to do
it), I don't want to run up against a small partition. (And I'm more
likely to on a workstation, as it's less likely to have a large
disk.)

As for /var, what has being connected to the Internet to do with
anything? I definitely see way more traffic on my WAN than I do from
the Internet on my workstation. But precious little of it does
anything to touch /var. A workstation's logs are really unlikely to
grow to any large extent, and any sane distribution will come with
logrotate or newsyslog in root's crontab and configured in a
reasonable way. Sure, you'd have to add in settings for any
locally-maintained daemons... but why would you even have those on a
workstation?

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net