LeRoy Cressy on Tue, 2 Apr 2002 14:18:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Hard Disk Partitions

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 10:58:07PM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> > Is there really any reason why one would not just make one big partition
> > period? I know the argument about /var - but with logging monitors it is
> > unlikely that would  be a problem and I guess you could use quota's to
> > control other things.
>
> On a workstation, I've never seen much of a reason to have more than
> a single partition. Bill's /home caveat is valid, but how many
> users do you really have on a workstation? Can't you just back that
> up to another machine temporarily? (For that matter, who told you
> you needed to reformat your drive to upgrade? Sure, it cleans out
> cruft, but it's not actually all that necessary...)

You talk about a workstation, and the question comes up is where is the
workstation going to be utilized?  In an office enviroment I would want
the workstations with a separate /home partition while it is always good
to have a separate /var partition for any system connected to the
Internet.  Having one humongous partition is good for a system that
never directly connected to the Internet.  I have seen office Windows
boxes get trashed by having everything on one partition.  UNIX allows
you to mount partitions -o ro which provides a higher level of
security.

As in every case with Linux the final decision rests upon the installer
of the system.  It is easiests to create a large partition, but there
are security concerns that must be weighed.

> On a server, it's a drastically different situation. Things like
> /tmp and /var need to be watched carefully. Things like /home are
> likely to grow wildly overtime, so having a structure by which they
> can do so gracefully is nice. (Sun's automountd works quite well for
> this; last I heard, Linux's was just fine too.) It may make sense to
> put local software on a separate partition in a somewhat similar
> way. (There were some growing pains when cs.swarthmore.edu's
> /usr/local/depot ran out of space.)
>
> --
> gabriel rosenkoetter
> gr@eclipsed.net