Chuck Peters on Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:10:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Moveing large files

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 12:45:46PM -0500, ian reinhart geiser wrote:
>
> > so my options are ssh or netcat, where netcat is only installed on my box, i
> > would have to install it locally on the other box to use it.
>
> What's wrong with rsh? It is the fastest transport you can get. (Use
> a .rhosts file to avoid sending your password across the wire and
> tcp_wrappers to keep anyone but you from connecting to the remote
> host.)

> i could but that would entail a drive to milaukee wisconsin.  id rather let it
> go all weekend doing ssh.  nfs also really sucks over WANS but i have seen it
> before.
>
> so my options are ssh or netcat, where netcat is only installed on my box, i
> would have to install it locally on the other box to use it.

If Ian is moving 7 gigs of data from milaukee wisconsin it seems likely
the network will cause a problem and drop the transfer. rsync has
compression, uses rsh and it will pick up where it left off if your use
the --partial option.

rsync -azv --partial file host.domain.org:/directory/file

You can also use rsync over ssh, but that would be slower than rsync.

rsync -azv --partial -e ssh file host.domain.org:/directory/file

I don't know if rsync has the 2 gig file limitation.  A year old post on
the rsync page http://rsync.samba.org/rsync/fom-serve/cache/50.html lists
an unanswered question about the 2 gig limit on AIX.  I have transferred
more than 2 gigs at a time with rsync, but it was a lot of files.  On one
occasion I had a problem with rsync when I tried to transfer a 20 gig disk
with thousands of files, the machine ran out of memory building the file
listing.

Thanks,
Chuck