Doug Crompton on Wed, 10 Apr 2002 05:00:13 +0200

Re: [PLUG] dsl coop

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Fred K Ollinger wrote:

> Any pluggers in the w. philly area who wants cheap dsl? I'd like to start
> of coop, but I think I need more people to help.
>
> Fred Ollinger (follinge@sas.upenn.edu)
> CCN sysadmin

Wow that site is interesting. Groundbreaking! I wonder if this would work
with Verizon here. Getting the data to the DSLAM sites using broadband
wireless would work. Of course the A** holes at verizon could do this now
if they really wanted to rollout the technology!

But I am curious... why not just use broadband wirelss? The startup costs
for hardware are in the 5-7K range plus $400/user and it would cover a
line of sight area. Speeds equivalent to DSL or better. You do not have to
deal with the phone company except for the T1 coming in to serve the whole
thing. That two could be a broadband uphaul link from another site. This
stuff will go 15-20 miles on yagii's pointed at each other.

This is being done now at many sites throughout the country.

A local example that is really doing it is bluetruck.com in Reading. I
have been in contact with them about it.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *