Charles Stack on Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:25:23 -0400

RE: [PLUG] OT: Job Postings?

I've used a local recruiter and have been very pleased with them as both a
candidate (long ago) and as the hiring manager.  The recruiter meets with
you first, finds out exactly what you are looking for, your pet peeves, etc.
Then, they begin the filtering process.  But, I also look to their expertise
at weeding out the chaff.  A good recruiter will know what questions to ask
and evaluate you as an overall candidate for THEIR client (whether that the
be the employer or applicant). If you get weeded out as quickly as that poor
chap did, well, I suspect that his client specified that they MUST have
certain qualifications or experience.

My experience, in the past, has been that when they are THAT restrictive or
specific in qualifications, the position isn't really open to the public.
They already have a candidate in mind for the position and the public
interview is done to meet hiring guidelines.  If the recruiter doesn't let
you know this in some manner, they haven't done their job (especially when
you approach them).  As a potential client for this recruiter, I would also
find one a bit more to my liking.  In fact, there is only one in the DelVal
area that has earned my trust as I know how they treat their corporate
clients as well as their recruiting base.  Others charge exhorbitant fees,
require contracts from applicants (making YOU responsible for their
commission if you don't like the job) or function only as resume collection
agencies.  Nothing pisses me off more than getting umpteen resumes from a
recruiter that have few, if any qualifications, for a position I am
offering.  They gather resumes and then blast them out in the hopes of being
the first to get the resume to you.  Rules seem to dictate that whoever gets
the resume in first gets to represent you...even if YOU sent YOUR resume to
the employer yourself.  It means that I have to pay a commission to them
even if I don't use them to hire you.  Kinda blows.

So, hook up with a decent agency and don't send your resume to just any
agency or you may hinder yourself in the long run.

FWIW, I've received my own resume, circa 1994, just a few short months ago,
from one of the nefarious agencies.      1994...Ha ha  ha ha ha.

Charles