Michael F. Robbins on Thu, 11 Apr 2002 19:24:00 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Inability to download through firewall machine, but can browse

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 12:39, Gregson Helledy wrote:
> ICQ work fine.  However, I seem to have trouble downloading files.  This
> occurs with http transfers initiated from the browser, and also from an ftp
> client.

Although I know you said that this was a dialup connection...  The only
situation I've run into with similar problems to those you've described
(some sites work, others don't) is with Verizon DSL.  Because they use
PPPOE, the packet size is diminished a bit because of the pppoe
headers.  See http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/how-to-connect.txt
section 8.  It may be worth your time reducing the MTU of the machines
behind the firewall.

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com