gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 15 Apr 2002 19:07:42 -0400

Re: [PLUG] What am I missing about RPM?

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 06:57:46PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> I was handed a machine on which I was assured that RedHat's up2date
> had already been run (I cannot re-run up2date, as I don't have
> access to the account with RH which is used to update it; long
> story... in the long run, this machine will use up2date, but it's
> not right now).

Incidentally, I have no way to verify this (since rpmfind is broken
and I can't use up2date), but as near as I can tell, RPM thinks of
these two items as separate packages rather than as separate
versions of the same package:

openssh-2.9p2-12
openssh-3.1p1-2

If that's still true (it was the last time I was dealing with) then
it is COMPLETELY brain-damaged. Arguably, this is the fault of the
package maintainer rather than the fault of the RPM system, but if
the RPM system is too dumb to comprehend 2.9p2 < 3.1p1 still, then
it's broken at so basic a level that I just don't know how to deal.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net