Michael F. Robbins on Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:00:12 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Backup e-mail server

On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 19:57, Mike Pflugfelder wrote:
> look for information.  Also, what software would be best/easiest to use?

I've used qmail in the past, although I'm sure you'll get many different
answers from other people.

> If I'm not clear enough, what I'd like to accomplish is a server that, if
> our primary becomes unreachable (offline, DNS problems, downed
> router,etc...), the secondary server would cache the e-mail until the
> primary becomes available again and deliver it to the primary.

DNS standpoint: easy.  Just add an MX record with a higher "distance"
value.  Servers looking to deliver mail to you will first try the lower
"distance" record, which would be your exchange server.  If it fails,
they'd try the next higher MX, which could be your linux box.

Software: again, easy, but depends much more on which smtp software you
choose.  For qmail, you'd just do a "echo mydomain.com >>
/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts".  I'm sure its also simple with other
mailers.  Another nice feature of qmail is that when your primary mail
server is back up, you could ssh in to the linux box and "killall -ALRM
qmail-send" and it will instantly retry to deliver the mail to your main
server.

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com