gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 16 Apr 2002 12:49:00 -0400

Re: [PLUG] What am I missing about RPM?

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 09:37:19PM +1000, Bradley Molnar wrote:
> ok, here is what my friend says about the problem
> From: Michael Chapman [mailto:mchapman@beren.hn.org]
>
> I don't use rpmfind (I subscribe to bugtraq and find out when Red Hat
> update a package that way), so I'm not too sure how to configure/use it.

Well, its documentation alleges it should "just work". (HAH!)

> However, trying to get
> http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net//resources/openssh.rdf
> just gives me a 404 Not Found. Perhaps it's moved location (and you'll
> need to edit the appropriate Red Hat conf file for that). At any rate,
> rpmfind isn't going to be much use until it can get the latest rdf file.

The location of the rdf files isn't listed in rpmfind's config file
(${HOME}/.rpmfind, where ${HOME} is typically ~root). It's either
hardcoded or retrieved from the rpmfind server (I'd have to check
the source to know, and I don't think I care enough).

The other thing that's not there, though, is a listing specific to
redhat 7.2, which may be part of the problem. That is, there are
this:

[redhat/7.0/src]
rating=0
origin=ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-7.0/SRPMS

[redhat/7.0/i386]
rating=0
origin=ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-7.0/i386/en/RedHat/RPMS

(... and on and on, including listings for LinuxM68K, Yellow Dog, so
forth.) But none of these say anything about RH 7.2, which is what's
actually running on this box.

There's actually a newer rpmfind RPM out there... but it depends on a
newer librpm, and I expect that I'd have to update rpm as well, in
that case... but before or after I update librpm? Seems like a
horrendous chicken-n-egg problem to me to keep any rpm stuff outside
of the binaries themselves. (But maybe rpm is installed statically-
linked by default without dependencies listed in its RPM? That's be
the only sane way to deal with this...)

In any case, you're not telling me much I don't know, unfortunately.
:^>

> There was an error in the download. FYI, the correct md5sums for those
> files are:

Actually, no, the file was corrupt on the server
(speakeasy.rpmfind.net). I've emailed the maintainer (Daniel
Veillard, veillard@redhat.com), and he blamed multiple rsync
instances. (Now, *I* wouldn't try to have more than one rsync
parsing a given directory tree at the same time, but I'm sure he's
got his reasons...)

He's fixed the file.

> And instead of -e then -i, you should use -U (upgrade) or -F (freshen)
> instead.

Well, both gave the same error (because the file was corrupt), so I
gave in to bruter force, which clearly didn't help matters. :^>

> > around upgrading every one of our Linux machines every two weeks
> > when OpenBSD realizes they've reintroduced another bug from the
> > '80s...
> heh :-)

Good to see you *do* read Bugtraq. ;^>

In the end, I logged out of my last live session (by accident) last
night, so I just came back to the console this morning, got a good
copy of the openssh-server RPM from rpmfind.net (only the Speakeasy
mirror was corrupted), installed that, and now I'm going to see if
up2date's magic actually does work. (I've got two other machines
with openssh*-2.9p2-* installed on them; if up2date is smart enough
to upgrade those to openssh*-3.1p1-2, then I'm a happy camper.) Now
then, off for that corporate PO for $240 for an RHN site license...

Thanks for your time, Michael; thanks for the hand-off, Bradley.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net