Chuck Peters on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 08:50:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Backup e-mail server

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Mike Pflugfelder wrote:

> My company currently uses Exchange as our e-mail server, but we're
> experiencing some problems right now that are causing us to not get e-mail.

Exchange is your first problem.  About a year and a half ago I setup some
tests to test the reliabilty of some mail servers. These tests included
all the company mail servers, Exchange, Lotus Notes and IPlanet/Netscapes
Messaging server as well as some free services.  The tests showed the most
reliable server was ccil.org running Debian and EXIM.  The worst was the
companies own Exchange server.  So put another way the one of the most
expensive products the company sold (Exchange $15 per user per month) was
less reliable than the free service provided by ccil.org running free
opensource software.

> Regardless, we do have a second site in a different state that I would like
> to drop a Linux box in to become a backup e-mail server in the case that we
> have similar problems in the future.  Could someone give me some ideas as to
> how hard it may be, or what's involved, and some direction as to where to
> look for information.  Also, what software would be best/easiest to use?

Thats a matter of taste, I prefer Debian and EXIM.

> If I'm not clear enough, what I'd like to accomplish is a server that, if
> our primary becomes unreachable (offline, DNS problems, downed
> router,etc...), the secondary server would cache the e-mail until the
> primary becomes available again and deliver it to the primary.

whois shows your authoritave DNS servers are:
   NS1.GRANITECANYON.COM        205.166.226.38
   NS2.GRANITECANYON.COM        65.102.83.43

At that messaging company I used to work for one of the clients, a local
University, used the free GRANITECANYON DNS services. It was sad to see
this Univ paying big bucks to outsource their email and every so often the
GRANITECANYON DNS servers would just lose the DNS zone info for that
domain.  Or put another non technical way GRANITECANYON DNS servers suck
and when they fuck up you bounce mail.

Thanks,
Chuck